UPDATE: Please note this position has been filled.
The OpenSSL Management Committee are looking to hire a full time Platform Engineer. This is a sysadmin role. Details of the roles follow.
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17th June 2022.
OpenSSL Platform Engineer
The OpenSSL Project develops and maintains the OpenSSL software - a robust, commercial-grade, full-featured toolkit for general-purpose cryptography and secure communication. The software is widely used around the globe by thousands of organisations, including many major household name corporations. The OpenSSL software is released under an open source licence and is available for free to anyone that wants to use it.
The software is developed by a distributed team, mostly consisting of volunteers with some paid developers. Development is managed by the OpenSSL Management Committee (OMC).
Working as part of the existing communities, customers, and development team (consisting of full-time staff as well as volunteers) this full-time role will help the engineering team in enabling missing capability gaps. The person focuses on research and experimentation to make informed suggestions about tooling, frameworks, and ecosystem choices that affect the tool stack. The enabling team seeks to primarily increase the autonomy of stream-aligned teams by growing their capabilities with a focus on problems, rather than solutions. Optimizing a product minimizes resources and cognitive loads of the stream-aligned team of the OpenSSL.
You must be a self-motivated and self-directed individual comfortable with working by yourself for protracted periods of time whilst fitting into a small English-speaking globally distributed team using an Agile-based development methodology.
You will be primarily based from home with occasional business trips. If required you will be expected to attend regular weekly and ad-hoc daily engineering meetings which are currently during the 07:00-11:00 UTC time window. Since the project has members from around the world, virtual meetings are often held outside of normal business hours to accommodate different time zones and so you will be expected to be flexible about when you will be available.
Salary commensurate with experience and location.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for the maintenance, configuration, and reliable operation of computer systems, CI/CD, network servers, and virtualization
- Install and upgrade computer components and software, manage virtual servers, and integrate automation processes
- Troubleshoot hardware and software errors by running diagnostics, documenting problems and resolutions, prioritizing problems, and assessing the impact of issues
- Provide documentation and technical specifications proposals to engineering staff for planning and implementing new or upgrades to IT infrastructure to enable the engineering team
- Perform or delegate regular backup operations and implement appropriate processes for data protection, disaster recovery, and failover procedures
- Lead release management for the development release process
- Responsible for CI implementation and maintenance
Qualifications and Experience
- You must have good spoken and written English.
- 3-5 years of database, network administration, or system administration experience
- A broad background and understanding of software development are essential
- An understanding of Cryptography and/or TLS concepts is an advantage but not required.
- An interest or background in Open Source development is also an advantage
- Experience with the DevOps Toolchain used for delivery, development, and management of applications throughout the software lifecycle is a big advantage
- Experience with Postmaster
- System administration and IT certifications in Linux/Unix, or other network-related fields are a plus
- Working knowledge of virtualization, libvirt+qemu, or equivalent
- Strong knowledge of systems and networking software, hardware, and networking protocols
- Experience with scripting, automation, and configuration management tools (Ansible)
- A proven track record of developing and implementing IT strategy and plans
- Strong knowledge of implementing and effectively developing DevOps best practices, including expert knowledge of security, storage, data protection, and disaster recovery protocols
Ability to automate mundane tasks and processes.