UPDATE: Please note this position has been filled.
UPDATE: The application period has been extended due to the Holiday Season.
The OpenSSL Management Committee are looking for a full time Engineering Manager. Details of the role follows.
To apply please send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th January 2023.
OpenSSL Engineering Manager
Responsibilities and Duties
- Project Management:
- Planning, designing, and overseeing projects;
- Resource allocation;
- Manage team priorities;
- Manage the stakeholder relationships;
- Regular reporting of project status to project committees and external parties where appropriate;
- Manage competing issues to ensure efficient delivery;
- Minutes of committee meetings.
- Line management of people resources across the OpenSSL Project:
- Establish work practices to effectively manage and improve completion of tasks by voluntary and funded resources;
- Ensure a good organisational culture;
- Mentoring existing team members;
- Planning for future talent needs;
- Recruitment of the right individuals for roles as the company needs.
Management of the operational budget.
- You must be able to travel to meeting locations around the globe on an occasional basis (no more than twice a year) including Europe, North America, and Australia.
The OpenSSL Project develops and maintains the OpenSSL software - a robust, commercial-grade, full-featured toolkit for general-purpose cryptography and secure communication. The software is widely used around the globe by thousands of organisations and individuals. The OpenSSL software is released under an open source licence. The software is developed by a distributed team, mostly consisting of volunteers with some project funded resources. The project’s technical decision making is managed by the OpenSSL Technical Committee (OTC) and the project governance is managed by the OpenSSL Management Committee (OMC).
Working as part of the existing development team (consisting of full time contractors as well as volunteers) this full time role will manage the development and administrative resources of the OpenSSL Project. You must be a self motivated and self directed individual comfortable with working by yourself for protracted periods of time whilst fitting into a small English speaking globally distributed team using an Agile based development methodology. You will be primarily based from home with occasional business trips. You will be expected to attend regular weekly and daily meetings which are currently during the 07:00-11:00 UTC time window. Since the project has members from around the world, virtual meetings are often held outside of normal business hours to accommodate different time zones and so you will be expected to be flexible about when you will be available.
Competitive remuneration commensurate with experience and location.
Qualifications and Experience
You must have excellent spoken and written English. While not a technical role you will be interacting with highly technical people on a daily basis so a broad background and understanding of software development is essential. An understanding of Cryptography and/or TLS concepts is an advantage but not required. You will have a proven track record in a Project or Technical Management role in a software development environment. An interest or background in Open Source development is also an advantage.